Back in business thanks to a government bailout.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

See ya Favre

The first time I saw Brett Favre play was this game pictured at left. I was in a Max and Erma's in Columbus with my Dad and my newborn son. 16 seasons later, 17 in total, Favre has called it quits. I usually make fun of everyone and everything here but I have nothing but great things to say about the Packers quarterback who retired today.

He played the game the right way. He would have played back in the leather helmet days and still been a legend. There is no better sports city in America than Green Bay so its fitting he spent nearly his whole career there (did any team ever make a worse trade than the Atlanta Falcons in dealing him for a 2nd round pick?). I covered the Packers during their 1996 Super Bowl season. I had the chance to talk with Favre and he's just the guy he comes off as on tv. Down to earth, a jokester, a regular guy. In a city full of sports legends, Lombardi, Starr, Lambeau...his star shone the brightest.

They'll still play football in Green Bay. They just won't play it with Favre anymore. We'll all miss watching him play.

No comments: